[ale] Linux--threatening the American way

John Mills john at mills-atl.com
Fri Feb 16 13:38:25 EST 2001

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Joseph A. Knapka wrote:
> Jim wrote:
> > This week, Jim Allchin of Microsoft made an idiotic speech before
> > Congress, trying to persuade them that open source software was a
> > dangerous trend and something they ought to limit. He went so far as to
> > claim that it "threatens innovation". Of course, we all know that
> > Microsoft's definition of innovation means using monopoly power to crush
> > competitors and steal ideas. Maybe that's more like the American way
> > that Allchin has in mind. You can read all about this drivel at:
> >
> > http://news.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-4825719-RHAT.html?tag=ltnc
> Egad. What a load of crap. I hope they get ESR to come talk to
> them too.

FUD - I ran a search on Allchin and on Microsoft against the Congressional
Record in <http://www.loc.gov> with no joy. The referenced 'cnet' report
is datelined Redmond - wrong coast - and mentions the remarks with a
Microsoft product presentation.

I also ran a search on microsoft.com for "Open Source" and did find a
pretty self-serving article from around 1 May 1999 in Microsoft Developer
News, but that was the closest I came to a relevant result. Actually that
article was a fairly hilarious combination of unctuous respect for, and
inuendo against RMS and Free Software advocates.

So far this looks like another urban myth, with regard to Congress at
least.

--
Regards -
 John Mills