[ale] USB/Gphoto/Permittion help

Dunlap, Randy randy.dunlap at intel.com
Wed Feb 14 14:59:31 EST 2001

From: I. Herman [mailto:izzmo at mediaone.net]
To: ale at ale.org

I have a small problem i need help with.  I just bought a digital camera
that connects either by serial or USB.  I was wondering if someone could
help with these issues and/or provide the best solution.

1 - What would be the path for the USB connection for the camera?
I couldn't figure it out to "mount" the camera or whatever
I have to do to get it working.
I'll try to help, although I don't have direct experience
with USB cameras.  If this isn't sufficient, you might try
asking on the linux-usb-users at lists.sourceforge.net
mailing list.

http://home.pacbell.net/david-b/digicam/ says to use the
kernel dc2xx driver for this camera.
//

2 - When I connect via serial, the camera works in Gphoto fine
except for I can't use it outside of root.  When I try to configure
the serial connection as a regular user, it says I don't have the
permittions for /dev/ttyS0 (i think).  How or what do I chmod or
whatever to get it so that I can use that?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't know.  Probably need to change permissions of
/dev/ttyS0 (as root): chmod xxx /dev/ttyS0
(use xxx as appropriate)
//

3 - Any other software or solutions I can use to get the camera
readable in Linux by a regular user?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Besides gphoto?  Maybe http://jphoto.sourceforge.net/ ?
//

The camera is listed as usable by Linux.  It's a Kodak 3400.  Also,
I am getting a free flash reader.  Could I set that up to work in
Linux as a USB device?  I would rather just connect the camera USB
directly.
Compact Flash reader?  The usb-storage driver supports
some of those already.

For USB mass storage device support, you'll need
to have SCSI (emulation) support in your kernel (or module).
usb-storage uses the SCSI subsystem.
After it is recognized, there should be a kernel log message
such as (e.g.):
  Detected scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel X, id Y, lun Z
Then enter: mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/camera
(or: mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera)
[Obviously I'm not sure about any partitioning here.]
and access it using /mnt/camera/* .
//

|NOTE: Any views presented here are mine alone|
|& may not represent the views of my employer.|