[ale] Exploding CD?!?

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. glasher at nycap.rr.com
Sat Feb 10 09:19:56 EST 2001

Never experienced it, but I have heard of it.  It is the cost of CDROM
drives spinning ever faster and faster.  The Centripetal force becomes too
great for the structural integrity of the disc, so it shatters.

Lexan, when it cracks, has pretty sharp edges.  The 1X linear speed of a
CD is 45cm/s.  With 12X+ CDROM readers, they switch to constant angular
velocity, and 12X (or whatever other speed) is the reading speed of the
outermost track (tracks further in will read slower.  You know, marketing
and all that).  Therefore, in a 40X CDROM reader, you can expect the
fastest-momving part of the disc (the outer rim) to be moving at
40X45=1800cm/s, or 18m/s.  That is about 36 km/h or 22.5MPH.  Yeah, that
plus sharp edges at short range is gonna hurt.  It's a risk we all take.

glasher at nycap.rr.com
After 163 days, Verizon still couln't deliver Telocity DSL.