[ale] fdisk Maxtor 40GB drive

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 9 00:10:41 EST 2001

I am having a problem partitioning a new Maxtor 40GB drive.  The
BIOS is set to AUTO, and dmesg indicates that Mandrake Linux 7.1
(kernel  2.2.15-4) understands the drive parameters.  However,
fdisk reports a smaller number of cylinders, thus cheating me
out of 3/4 of my new drive. :(  What am I missing on this?

-Jim P.

dmesg has this:
   hdd: Maxtor 54610H6, 43967MB w/2048kB Cache, CHS=89331/16/63

$ fdisk /dev/hdd

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 23795.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/hdd: 16 heads, 63 sectors, 23795 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System