[ale] Q: X-Window System login from iMac

John Mills john at mills-atl.com
Thu Feb 8 22:40:49 EST 2001

James -

Thanks for the answer.

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, James Kinney wrote:
> The issue is that the Mac display system does not support the X display
> protocols. VNC handles that for you by using the X protocols on the remote
> machine and sending the "screenshot" to your monitor.

Yes - that's what I understood. Five years ago we had several folks
working on a Solaris/Motif system, two over the net from our offices. I
was running a DOS X-server from Italy, and another colleague was running
an old "two-box" mac. His X-server opened its windows under the mac's
os. I was looking for an updated utility of that type.

Later I set up Linux and exported an Xterm from the Solaris system to my
Linux DISPLAY, from which I launched remote apps to my DISPLAY under
control of my window manager ('fvwm' then). This worked lots better - I
don't remember the app I ran, but it actually shelled the Xterm back at me
and was very good about killing any processes I had launched through it.

> There are X solutions for the Mac. Apple makes one called MacX (image that
> :)

VNC seems to get good marks. I'll file a battle report when I decide what
to try.

--
Regards -
 John Mills