[ale] Q: X-Window System login from iMac

James Kinney jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Feb 8 20:37:28 EST 2001

The issue is that the Mac display system does not support the X display
protocols. VNC handles that for you by using the X protocols on the remote
machine and sending the "screenshot" to your monitor.

There are X solutions for the Mac. Apple makes one called MacX (image that
:)

The difference is running it local vs. remote. I used an old version of
MacX (1.1) and found it rather clunky. The mac fanatic at my old job was
quite happy with the 2.0 release.

But then he also has a shrine to Steve Jobs on his desk.