[ale] Journal Filesystems

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Thu Feb 8 14:36:09 EST 2001

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Bao Ha wrote:

> I have been leaning to reiserfs since it was included in
> major distributions.  Ext3fs is rather new, late alpha/early
> beta quality, compared to the rest: reiserfs, jfs and xfs.
>
> I probably just bite the bullet with ext3fs when I move to
> 2.4 then.

ext3 is 2.2 only for now, last time I looked.  The developers want to get it
stable there before porting it.

I've got 2.4 boxes running reiserfs and 2.2 running ext3.  Both are great,
though there are a few caveats if you want reiser 3.6 and 2.4 kernels
(you'll need some extra patches for NFS, etc.).  I've tried XFS, but it's
definitely not ready for widespread use yet (hangs hard on moderate I/O, log
rollback leaves open files corrupted, etc.).

later,
chris

--
Chris Ricker                                               kaboom at gatech.edu