[ale] I cant get my modem im running linux for the first time

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 31 09:02:42 EST 2001

All of my modem problems have come from stupid plug 'n play settings
that were made by Windows. All of them were solved by a combination of
isapnptools, setserial and minicom. If you don't have isapnptools
installed, get it. Run pnpdump and review the output. The first lines
after the instructions will usually give you the correct port address
and the irq number. Use setserial to assign these. Test by dialing with
minicom. If it works, you're ready to dial your ISP. If it doesn't, go
back to the output of pnpdump. Try assigning the next pairing of port
address and irq number using setserial. Then test with minicom again,
and so on until you get your modem working. All of this assumes you get
familiar with the programs mentioned. But it does work and has never
failed me.