[ale] AMD300 Watt PS

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sun Dec 30 01:10:40 EST 2001

Irv Mullins wrote:

> On Saturday 29 December 2001 12:57 pm, Chris Fowler wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > However,  I'm going to still investigate the dimming effect on the light in
> > the office.
>
> Here are a few things you could check:
>
> 1. Look for poorly made, perhaps corroded connections in the line. Often
> you'll find such a connection in an outlet box along the way, which adds
> resistance to the circuit, which in turn exaggerates the voltage drop.  I've
> seen connections like this which, over the years, have heated the insulation
> until it is no more than dust. Just a touch, and it'll fall off.

Real life story. Just replaced an outlet that went bad in my washroom.
House is < 3 years old, but the outlet apparently faulty as it started
to overheat.  I smelled that smell and knew immediately what it was.
The washing machine plug was hot to the hand and when removed, partially
melted.  I opened up the outlet and a large portion of it had melted
along with a part of the actual box.  Very close to a fire here, a very
scarry thing.

Poor electrical connections will often cause such heat.  Could be the
case with the wiring here.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

"...the system (Microsoft passport) carries significant risks to users
that
are not made adequately clear in the technical documentation available."
- David P. Kormann and Aviel D. Rubin, AT&T Labs - Research
- http://www.avirubin.com/passport.html