[ale] AMD300 Watt PS

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Sat Dec 29 14:20:23 EST 2001

On Saturday 29 December 2001 12:57 pm, Chris Fowler wrote:
<snip>

> However,  I'm going to still investigate the dimming effect on the light in
> the office.

Here are a few things you could check:

1. Look for poorly made, perhaps corroded connections in the line. Often
you'll find such a connection in an outlet box along the way, which adds
resistance to the circuit, which in turn exaggerates the voltage drop.  I've
seen connections like this which, over the years, have heated the insulation
until it is no more than dust. Just a touch, and it'll fall off.

2. Look for aluminum wire. This is a Bad Sign. If you have any, don't mess
with it - have a licensed electrician fix it.

3. There's also the possibility of a poor contact between the entrance cable
and the main breaker terminals, if these weren't liberally coated with a
proper anti-oxidant. This, again, is a job for a licensed electrician, as it
can easily turn deadly.

Regards,
Irv