[ale] Fire hazard (was AMD300 Watt PS)

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Sat Dec 29 09:12:46 EST 2001

On Friday 28 December 2001 04:30 pm, you wrote:

> No, the breaker doesn't pop (ever). Not even when my wife cranks up her
> little porable foot heater. (we just get a brown out)<br>

That "brown out" is a sure sign that voltage is being lost somewhere.
Where? Obviously, it's turning to heat in the (most likely 14 guage) wire.
So you're 1.wasting power and 2. overheating a wire inside your walls,
and 3. having computer troubles.

Not Good Things.
Eventually the heating effect will break down the insulation on that wire,
and not just the wire, but the whole house will overheat big time
(until the fire department puts it out)

Please accept a word of advice: replace the wire with 12 guage, and
wire the two rooms separately, all the way back to the breaker box.
I know it's a "hassle", but if you ever want to sell the house, you are going
to have to fix that problem. Better to fix it now, and enjoy the added safety
and convenience youself.

Of course, if you don't own the house, but are renting, then the landlord
should have to fix it. Most places have laws that require rental property to
be up to code.

By the way, there's a good chance that those two bedrooms aren't the only
mis-wired things in that house. It would pay to do a thorough inspection.

Regards,
Irv Mullins