[ale] moving to the command line

Steven A. DuChene linux-clusters at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 28 15:19:46 EST 2001

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 08:34:34AM -0600, Bruce L. Bryant wrote:
> 	Hello all.
> 	I have a question that I hope will be of some value to all.
> 	I have been running Linux (currently Slack 8.0) for +2 years. I
> would like to (as much as possible) completely ditch the GUI. To this end
> I have purchased a not inconsiderable stack of manuals, mostly O'reilly
> stuff as well as my current favorite, "Think Unix" by John Lasser.
> 	Now, I have played with the info in these fine manuals and have
> foundthe answers to many of my questions. However, I have noticed that
> most of them isolate on one thing in detail. I was wondering if anyone has
> written a manual for the newbie aimed at helping them make a fairly rapid
> transition to a command line only computing experience.
> 	I realize that the correct answer to this question is "RTFM". But,
> what about those of us who would like to start with fairly simple stuff
> because of limited time? I would prefer to continue to read man pages and
> manuals and find the stuff out by experimenting as I find this much more
> interesting than being spoon-fed. However, I would like to be capable of
> doing more at the command line, now.
> 	Any suggestions?
> 	Thanks in advance.
> Bruce (IM: bb207)

I think a good place to start is a couple of the freely available
LDP guides. Matt Welsh's Installation and Getting Started Guide
has a couple of good chapters. One on Linux Tutorial and another
on System Administration. There is also a general System Administration
Guide and Network Administration Guide. Both of these are writen to guide
the reader through tasks mostly performed at the command line.
They are quality documents and there is also the advantage that they
are freely available from www.linuxdoc.org/guides.html where they
can either be read on-line or downloaded in various file formats.
Steven A. DuChene      linux-clusters at mindspring.com
                      sduchene at mindspring.com

        http://www.mindspring.com/~sduchene/