[ale] OT: Win95 Death March

Jimmie Fulton JFulton at ehso.emory.edu
Fri Dec 28 14:54:49 EST 2001

John,

This is kind of reaching but something to try...  Windows 95 has trouble
with IDE devices if the system is in "compatibility mode".  The most
frequent occurrences of this (from my days as a Dell tech) was when someone
got a virus that infected the MBR.  Is it possible that your Linux boot
loader is creating the same effect...  I would load up windows, and check to
see if it is in compatibility mode.  Check out these articles from MS
support site...

MS-DOS Compatibility Mode Problems with PCI IDE Controllers
http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;q151911

Troubleshooting MS-DOS Compatibility Mode on Hard Disks
http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;q130179