[ale] OT: Win95 Death March

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Fri Dec 28 14:03:56 EST 2001

ALErs -

I know of no MsWin equivalent to this mailing list, so please point me to
a better resource if you know of one.

I'm going &^%$@!! nuts trying to do a clean re-installation of Win95 from
my original set of bootable Win95 on 3.5" diskettes. The problem is
failure of Win95 installation to recognize my ZIP and CDROM drives on the
secondary IDE channel.

/dev/hda is MsWin95 C: (~2000 MBy) and D: (~1050 MBy).
/dev/hdb is Linux (RH6.2)
/dev/hdc is ZIP
/dev/hdd is CDROM

All are found fine by BIOS and Linux.

Motherboard chipset is VIA, which has a set of drivers on CDROM.

Once I got a proper configuration detected and installed, but then I found
that my old DOS 'fdisk' had only set up a 500MBy C: partition. Each time
I've gone back and partitioned C: to my target sizes, those two
peripherals are lost in space.

I have tried several variants, with and without /dev/hdb indicated in the
BIOS as present, and everything else I can think of. This makes four times
feeding 13 diskettes, then multiple reboots, etc.

Any suggestions?

Regards -
 John Mills