[ale] New to the game

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Dec 24 08:03:04 EST 2001

Pilar Losada wrote:

> Forgive me, but I am not sure what Minicom is .

Do the following:

ls -l /usr/bin/minicom

Does it exist?  What happens if you execute it?

Also try the following:

setserial /dev/ttyS0
setserial /dev/ttyS1

What is returned?

Check out /var/log/messages for boot information regarding your serial
ports.

>  The modem was turned on. I tried Com1 and LPT1.  I have an internal
> "WinModem on  on Com3. Linux does not see it. I did try  echo to
>  /dev/ttyS0 -4. I had no luck.  The modem does have a 25 pin centronix
> conector.  I also used the Dip -t program and that did not help either. I
> Yesterday, someone recommended that I try www.linmod.com.  I have not had a
> chance I will try this today.

The site is http://www.linmodems.org/ do check it out.

Check out the linmodem howto: