[ale] New to the game

Pilar Losada LosadaP at wanadoo.es
Sun Dec 23 13:38:18 EST 2001

Hi,
My name is Andy Whitten. I am from
Atlanta,  but I have been living in Spain now for the past year or
so.  I am brand new to Linux. I have just installed Red 7.0  on my
home PC. I was able to configure everything but the modem.
I know that Linux does not really do the Win modem thing. I have got
a Zoltrix 33.6 speed modem. I know; it is slow and old, but I got it for
free; what can I say. I have tried hooking it up to Com1 and to
LPT1.   Kudzu can not find it when I boot up.   I have
used the dip -t program and I have tried echo atdt and all that. I have had
no luck.  Apart from going out and getting a new 3com modem,
does anyone have any advice for me.

Kindest Regards,

Andy

PS. My question should get less trivial. I have
signed up for a Linux Class here in January.  By the way, can anyone
recommend some good certification books. I would like to try for the Linux +
certification in June.