[ale] Linux on HP Jornada?

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 21 06:35:21 EST 2001

SLane at weather.com wrote:

> greetings!
>
> I was wondering if anyone knew of and might be able to point me to a
> distribution for an HP Jornada (547).  I know someone who has a port for their
> iPAQ and am interested in doing this on mine.
>
> any info (particularly links) would be greatly appreciated!

Check out the LinuxSH project: <URL: http://m17n.org>. That's
the homepage of the Japanese governments multilingualization
project, but the Linux on SH project is hosted there as
well; there's a link to it on that page.

I have a Jornada 430 that I have not been able to port
Linux to yet, because of the fact that there's proprietary
HP hardware in it that's not publically documented. Some
people have managed to get Linux booted on 600-series
Jornadas in spite of that. I'm not aware of any successes
with 500-series Jornadas yet. Now that Bruce Perens has
joined HP, there seems to be some hope of getting
proprietary hardware docuementation out of them, but
I know of no actual progress on that front yet.

HTH,

-- Joe
"I should like to close this book by sticking out any part of my neck
 which is not yet exposed, and making a few predictions about how the
 problem of quantum gravity will in the end be solved."
 --- Physicist Lee Smolin, "Three Roads to Quantum Gravity"