[ale] Console redirection to serial on RH 7.1

Gene Matthews gene at mmc-inc.com
Fri Dec 21 10:01:28 EST 2001

I'm trying to set up a remote console solution for several Sun Netra
t1's (Solaris 8) and a couple of Dell PowerEdge 2550's (RH 7.1).  I'm
using a Computone RCM/8 as the terminal server. The Solaris boxes are
set up and working fine.

However, I haven't been successful thus far with the linux boxes.

Anyone done any remote console with linux?

I have done the following so far:

/etc/lilo.conf:
- added "serial=0,9600n8" and ran lilo to pick up change

/etc/inittab:
- added "0:12345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -r -s 9600 ttyS0" and ran 'telinit
q' to pick up changes

/etc/securetty:
- added 'ttyS0'

I have seen references that indicate the CONFIG_SERIAL_ECHO needs to be
set in the kernel.  I also ran across one that said Red Hat sets this by
default.  I'm not sure how to verify if this is set.  Anyone know how?

On the Computone RCM/8, I have port 4 set up as follows:

set port 4 comment "Dell RH Linux, ttyS0"
set port 4 type "Remote Console Management"
set port 4 user root
set port 4 group None
set port 4 localterm ansi
set port 4 remterm ""
set port 4 modem No
set port 4 waitinput No
set port 4 dialup ""
set port 4 modeminit ""
set port 4 speed 9600
set port 4 databits 8
set port 4 parity None
set port 4 stopbits 1
set port 4 autoppp No
set port 4 inflow RTS
set port 4 inxlat "CR to NL"
set port 4 outflow CTS
set port 4 outxlat "NL to CR+NL"
set port 4 tabs No
set port 4 tcpmode Normal
set port 4 intrchar ^C
set port 4 erasechar ^H
set port 4 quitchar "^\\"
set port 4 killchar ^U
set port 4 eofchar ^D
set port 4 viewprof ""
set port 4 printprof ""
set port 4 setprof ""

I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks,

Gene