[ale] so im crazy

Frank Zamenski fzamenski at voyager.net
Thu Dec 20 21:13:46 EST 2001

..snip..
> A hex editor will only be needed if you want to look at the final binary
> file, and even then, if your program is longer than a few dozen bytes,
> editing it can be more work than it's worth. As for writing a program with
> a hex editor -- well, you could, but you also 'could' saw down an oak
> tree with a fingernail file.
>
> A warning is in order here: since you will be working directly with the
> processor, it's very easy to make a misteak that can trash (not just
crash)
> the whole computer. Better learn with an old pc, or better yet, a simple
> single-board micro.

Irv is not kidding here. I once trashed an old Compaq 368
with assembler. I ran the program, the monitor flashed, the
PC crashed, and it never again booted. I was doing something
that wrote directly to vid mem location, it was supposed to
loop and fill the screen with colored blocks. The code was lost
with the also trashed hard drive so I never could recover it to
sturdy it.... it was ugly. I soon dropped the class and took
Pascal. Actually, that was pretty ugly too...

-fgz