[ale] why not asm

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Dec 19 23:59:42 EST 2001

On Wed, 2001-12-19 at 23:54, Stephen Turner wrote:
> yea so you would code a vcr or car in asm but still..
> so its potentially a pain in the rear..  its smaller
> its faster and its cleaner ... seems to me if a os
> such as linux could be beat it would be through
> this... i mean if ya wanna have a hobby program a os

The December 2001 issue of Dr. Dobb's Journal has an article on Menuet
which is small multitasking real-time operaintg system witha  graphical
user inetface writtein in x86 32-bit assembly. It fits on a 1.44MB
floppy and requires an 80386 and 32MB of ram to use. Supports 16million
colors, FAT32 and FAT16 filesystems and is freely available at
http://www.menuetos.org under the GPL. System comes with a 32bit
assemblyer, text editor appp, some demos and other docs and such.

hope this helps

Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu)
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~vernard/
        "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. But Glory. Glory lasts forever."