[ale] Off the Wall

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Dec 19 12:07:32 EST 2001

Joe Steele wrote:

> Cable TV was installed (from overhead service) at my house many years
> ago, and the cable company never bothered to ground the cable at all.

When I first got cable in Cherokee county (about 10 years ago), they
attached a wire, probably about 8 gauge, stripped about 6 inches off the
end and stuck it in the ground.  When I happened to notice it, I called
them and they told me there were doing more then they were required as
they were not regulated...

> My suggestion is that it wouldn't hurt to look around and see if you
> can tell how your cable is grounded before it enters the building,
> particularly if your cable service is overhead.  It's just one more
> thing that can help protect you and your equipment.

I'd expect that if your cable is hit by lightening, regardless of the
ground you've got, you're going to lose something.

My recommendation is, buy the cheapest surge protector you can find that
provides coverage for your damaged goods.   I had an intern working for
me a few years ago.  Lightening hit a tree close to her house.  It took
out the phone and microwave in the kitchen.  Her computer was in the
kitchen as well and had cheap surge protector installed.  Long story
shorter, the surge protector was fried, yet both her modem and hardware
were fine.  Both passed through this protector.  So, they do work, but
as someone else noted, if you take a direct hit, there's not much you
can do.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

"...the system (Microsoft passport) carries significant risks to users
that
are not made adequately clear in the technical documentation available."
- David P. Kormann and Aviel D. Rubin, AT&T Labs - Research
- http://www.avirubin.com/passport.html