[ale] ttyp0: Operation not permitted

Alan Bowman aminus at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 19 07:37:24 EST 2001

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, rhiannen wrote:

>>Got everything up & running in Slack 8.0, just have one irritating,
>>but seemingly harmless annoyance:  When attempting to run Eterm in
>>Enlightenment (0.16.5) as a normal user, it opens, but it gives the
>>error:
>> " /dev/ttyp0: Operation not permitted " (or ttyp1, ttyp2, etc.,
>>etc.)
>>There doesn't seem to be any problem executing any commands, just the
>>annoying message.
  I get the same error on Slack 7 when I su to become the postgres user
for my database. This is in fvwm2, using plain xterms.  I get the error
if I su to postgres from the console. I don't get the error if I login
as postgres from the console.  So it's not an Enlightenment problem.

 As to what exactly is not permitted, I'm not sure. I'm using the exact
same .bash_profile for each login, and don't get the error as the
regular user. It's only when I su to postgres, and only the first
time. If I reread the .bash_profile, ( ex . .bash_profile), I don't get
the error again.  Do you get the error on each login?  Do you get it
from the console?  I don't have a solution, but it's a start.

...alan

discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."
                -- Isaac Asimov