[ale] About that firewall machine [Was]Re: [ale] unidentified processes

jeff hubbs hbbs at mediaone.net
Tue Dec 18 20:34:12 EST 2001

Thompson Freeman wrote:

> I'm curious about what sort of firewall machine can be gotten these
> days. Obviously, an intel type proc with either a CDROM or other mass
> storage is available, but for one off projects are there any
> others? Massive compute horsepower isn't especially needed, so can
> something be assembled which draws perhaps 1-5 watts, carries at least two
> ethernet interfaces, and runs headless? Or can the kernel be virtualized
> on a server with enough safety? (which would help the electric bills.)
>
> While I'm at it - is there a processor/MotherBoard combination with enough
> capacity to run office productivity type stuff, and still keep the energy
> consumption below say 10 or 15 watts (on the computer, the monitor is
> another computation). Using a computer as a space heater strikes me as
> somewhat dumb.

If all you're going to do is Coyote (which I use), a 486 will do very
nicely.  If you're going to do something more involved (especially if it
involves remote Web mgt or anything like that, you'l need more gerbils
on the wheel.  I recently built a machine around a Socket 7 mobo and an
AMD K6-2+ (note the "+") 500.  This CPU is supposed to be for laptops.
I approached building the box with "Athlon-think" and cut out all these
holes for 80mm fans in the case, only to find out that the chip runs
very cool.  It might be possible to sink it well enough that it doesn't
need its own fan, as long as it gets a lot of airflow from elsewhere,
but DON"T RELY ON MY SAYSO.