[ale] bochs | vmware | win4lin

overquota at scubadiving.com overquota at scubadiving.com
Mon Dec 17 12:05:55 EST 2001

I've been using Win4Lin 2.0 for access to Photoshop 5.5 and Office 2000 for
over a year now and it's never given me any problems.  Boots Win98 in like 8
seconds.

Downsides of Win4Lin : a) no DirectX or Direct Draw support, so no games
newer than 1996 and no realmedia stuff.   b) you have to run a w4l enabled
kernel, which means either applying a patch and recompiling (the only method
i've ever tried) or downloading one of their kernels.  I've only ever run
w4l on a 2.2.x kernel, but have patched many in that series and never had
any trouble.

Upsides: a) no dual booting  b) seems to handle resources pretty well   c)
the FAQ / online support is really good. Have never had to actually call or
email them for anything.

They should still have their free-trial download so you can give it a shot
before shelling out the money.

Good luck!

Jenn