[ale] modem busy

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sun Dec 16 21:14:45 EST 2001

Before I'd go to a complete reinstall, I'd do a little research.  Try
accessing the modem with minicom from the command line.  See if you can
get to it there.  There could be a number of things going on here, like
kppp is trying to use the wrong device, or it's using /dev/modem and
/dev/modem doesn't exist.

Do you see any messages in /var/log/messages regarding the modem??

I've never used kppp, and still resort to command line execution of pppd
when using a dialup, so I can't help with kppp.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

"...the system (Microsoft passport) carries significant risks to users
that
are not made adequately clear in the technical documentation available."
- David P. Kormann and Aviel D. Rubin, AT&T Labs - Research
- http://www.avirubin.com/passport.html