[ale] Weird X question ( X output )

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Sat Dec 15 22:25:19 EST 2001

Ken Nagorski writes:
 > Hi there,
 >
 > Sorry that took so long, I had a bunch to do last night. I put the output on
 > the web http://www.refriedgeek.com/~kenn/X.html

I notice that your monitor is configured as:

    (II) S3VIRGE(0): Monitor name: CyberVision C
    (II) S3VIRGE(0): Monitor name: 70-2
    (==) S3VIRGE(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
    (--) S3VIRGE(0): videoram:  4096k
    (--) S3VIRGE(0): Detected current MCLK value of 54.886 MHz
    (WW) S3VIRGE(0): Monitor0: Using default hsync range of 28-33kHz
    (WW) S3VIRGE(0): Monitor0: using default vrefresh range of 43-72Hz

Is this correct?  That isn't much of an hsync, and I also notice that
all the failed modes up to 1280x1024 are out of your hsync range:

    (II) S3VIRGE(0): Not using default mode "1024x768" (hsync out of
range)

You either need a new, better monitor, or to fix the hsync in
XF86Config-4.

I'm guessing you just need to fix the settings.  It looks like it is
using some kind of default values, rather than a detected or
configured value.

Assuming you can find the info in you manual, try specifying your
HorizSync and VertRefresh in the Monitor section of your config file
like this:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Generic|High Frequency SVGA, 1024x768 at 70 Hz"
    VendorName "Unknown"
    ModelName  "Unknown"
# HorizSync is in kHz unless units are specified.
# HorizSync may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
# comma separated list of ranges of values.
# NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY.  REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
# USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.
    HorizSync  30-64.0
# VertRefresh is in Hz unless units are specified.
# VertRefresh may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
# comma separated list of ranges of values.
# NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY.  REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
# USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.
    VertRefresh 50-100
EndSection

--Michael