[ale] Gateway / Routing Problem

Ken Nagorski kenn at refriedgeek.com
Sat Dec 15 21:11:32 EST 2001

Hi there Kevin,

Can you give us some debug information?

What does `less /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward` tell you?

What is the output of `iptables -t nat --list -n`

What does route -n say?

Thanks
Ken

> Kevin,
>
> I think I know what you're going through. About 6 weeks ago I replaced
> my LinkSys router w/ a Linux box, and did what you're trying to do.
>
> I'm using RH7.1 and used iptables to set up NAT. I'm a newbie too, so I
> don't know if what I did will work, but here goes...
>
> First, use iptables, not ipchains. Make sure iptables is compiled into
> the kernel.
>
> You need to make sure ipchains (the old way of doing routing) is not
> running on your run level. For me the command was:
>
>service --level 5 ipchains off
>
> Then you have to make sure iptables is running for your run level:
>
>service --level 5 iptables on
>
> Then you need to give the firewall the rules to do its NAT and other
> routing duties. For this I used the rc.DHCP.firewall.txt script in the
> IPTables Tutorial 1.1.3. I have bridged DSL, so maybe you need a
> different ruleset. I put that scipt in a file called
> /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall (I don't recall if I created this file or if it
> was there already).
>
> To run the rc.firewall script at startup, I added the following lines
> to the end of my /etc/rc.d/rc.local script:
>
> echo "Loading the rc.firewall ruleset.."
> /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall
>
> I hope I'm not forgetting anything. It's been a few weeks. Hope this
> helps.
>
> Thank you,
> Mike Millson
> AableTech Solutions, Inc.
> 770.414.8834
> 770.414.8206 fax
> http://www.atsga.com

But I don't want to go among mad people,
Alice remarked.
Oh, you can't help that, said the Cat:
we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
How do you know I'm mad? said Alice.
You must be, said the Cat,
or you wouldn't have come here.