[ale] DNS Server Propagation

Gabriel Donnell gabriel_donnell_ale at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 14 21:28:43 EST 2001

Thanks Michael,

I appreciate the free analysis.  You confirmed everything that I checked before
sending my e-mail.  Thanks to you, I now know that I am not going crazy.

Our secondary DNS was not running.  Network Solutions requires us to have two
DNS servers.  I figured since it was the secondary DNS server, that it would
not be used.  I may be highly mistaken because our firewall logs did show some
requests going to our secondary DNS server.  I thought the secondary DNS was
used only if the primary DNS failed.  To be on the safe side, our secondary DNS
server is forwarding requests to our primary DNS server.

For now, we only have one server that handles all of our services (DHCP, DNS,
HTTP, IMAP, POP, SMTP, etc.).  If our primary DNS server is down, then all of
our services will be down.

Things seem to be working better now.  The problem was with the SpeakHard.net
(our DSL ISP (SpeakEasy.net)) DNS servers.  The SpeakHard.net DNS servers had
incorrect references to names in our domain that took so much time for them to
do correctly.  Now they just need to remove the incorrect references to our IP
addresses.  It was over a month ago that I requested them to remove references
to our domain names and IP addresses from their DNS servers.

I Love this kind of work, and I Love it even more with Linux.  I just wish
there was a better way to handle procedures with services from SpeakHard.net,
Network Solutions, and other services that we cannot do on our own.
Thanks for your help.

Gabriel Donnell,
DentFirst System Administrator