[ale] cheap linux-friendly pcmcia nic?

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Fri Dec 14 12:48:22 EST 2001

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 12:37:28PM -0500, Transam wrote:
> Try the D-Link DFE-670TXD.  Offers 10/100 Mbps, uses the highly regarded
> DEC Tulip chip and uses the tulip_cb.o driver (either module or compiled in).
> I think I paid about $35 for it.

Actually, it ues one of the tulip clones out there, so it's
hit-and=miss, more likely.  All of those clones out there just aren't as
good as the original(s).  AFAIK, Intel isn't even making Tulip ckips any
more (they bought the rights from DEC some time back)  Correct me if I'm
wrong, of course.  :)

I'd recommend the 3Com 3c575, you can find 'em for $30-40 at
www.teamexcess.com. and it even supports things like hardware TCP
checksums and zero-copying netwoirking.  rock-solid card.

That said, I do have a linksys 21143 cardbus NIC; it's pretty solid, but
hasn't been made in a few years.

damn this laggy connection.  I'm ytping this from Turkey, and fixing
typos is a PITA over a 600ms pinh time.

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy                                    pizzaATfucktheusers.org
I ain't broke, but I'm badly bent.                           ICQ# 1318344

 PGP signature