[ale] [OT] Brainbench Certifications

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Thu Dec 13 23:36:24 EST 2001

There was an article on TechRepublic (or was it Slashdot?) that was debating
the merits of online testing. Brainbench's CEO was interviewed as well as
some random hiring managers. One of the downer points was the inability to
control the conditions of the exam (i.e., someone thumbing through their
Java book at home while taking the exam from home).

I'll put it to you this way ... there was a recruiter I was talking to about
a contract opp'ty that required knowledge of XML and JavaScript development.
He said that his client wouldn't even look at a person's re'sume' unless it
was accompanied by a verifiable Brainbench score for the JavaScript test. At
least the test was free. I haven't taken it yet, though.

While the major certifications (MCSE, CCIE, Sun's Java certs.) definitely
carry more weight, it probably wouldn't hurt to at least mention that you
have Brainbench scores available for inspection. Maybe even mention
individual scores if it doesn't make your re'sume' run over the appropriate
number of pages for the particular stage of your career. I don't think
Brainbench has a bad rep or anything.