[ale] OT: Letter to AT&T Broadband re Channel Removal

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Thu Dec 13 13:40:45 EST 2001

    esoteric> "Glenn C. Lasher Jr." wrote:
    >>  I mentioned recently that I had gotten Dish Network.

    esoteric> My biggest problem with any of the 'wireless' services
    esoteric> is that, as I understand it you need multiple devices
    esoteric> for multiple TVs.  I've heard of one that will support
    esoteric> two, but still, by the time I get the proper hardware in
    esoteric> place, I'd probably spend $500. 3 TVs on the 2nd floor,
    esoteric> 1 on the first and two in the basement.  That's 6
    esoteric> connections, so I would guess that would translate to at
    esoteric> least 3 devices, or more.

<take with="grain of salt">
   <handwaving begin="1">

        As I understand it, you'll need a receiver for each TV.
There's a DirecTV dish and one receiver kit available for $49 and a
dish and two receivers kit for $99 (this comes from my visit to Best
Buy) yesterday.  This is a dual LNB dish (it can tune into two
satelites simultaneously, so you can have different receivers watching
channels which come off two different signals).  If you have more than
two receivers you need to get some sort of switch which handles
multiplexing the signal requests to the dish.  BB had one of these
that would support 4 devices (I think) for ~$75.  Don't know if one is
included in a professional installation if you get enough receivers at
once or not. (I wanted to ask about this as I possibly would have
three TVs hooked up, but being Best Buy there wasn't anyone around to
ask :)

770 933-0600 x211(w)  |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=