[ale] OT: Letter to AT&T Broadband re Channel Removal

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Thu Dec 13 07:38:45 EST 2001

[...]

    Stephen> I ask this because the general concensus is that the
    Stephen> delay would create the dreaded 30 to 60 second delay from
    Stephen> typing in a command and it being executed.  I have done
    Stephen> the cable modem thing (60% downtime), too far out for
    Stephen> BellSouth dsl (hearing horror stories about it).  I
    Stephen> currently have a Mindspring / Earthlink ~56K connection
    Stephen> which has been pretty much rock solid, but slow.  I do
    Stephen> not feel that I have too many other options left.

        Not satelite, but you might see if you can get IDSL.  It's not
as fast as ADSL or a cable modem (144k, basically ISDN), but you can
get it if you're too far from the CO for regular DSL.  It's much nicer
than plain dial up.  <plug>I've had service through speakeasy.net for
over a year now (after BS took 3+ months to get the line installed)
and have been very satistified with them.</plug>

        And as for the original topic of the thread, I'm canceling
AT&T and looking into DirecTV (and if you buy before 1/31 you can get
35 hour Sony TiVo receiver that's DirecTV compatible for $200 with
service activation . . . :).

770 933-0600 x211(w)  |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=