[ale] ximian

Chris Egolf cegolf at ugholf.net
Wed Dec 12 10:21:43 EST 2001

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, John Wells wrote:

> Made the mistake of installing ximian Gnome on one of
> my RH 7.1 machines.  Now I'd like to uninstall....but
> since ximian is really a different version of Gnome I
> think I'll actually have to remove Gnome and reinstall
> it.
>
> Has anyone tried this?  Is there a simple way?  Boy,
> wish RedHat had aptget...

Simple?  No, but I had to do this when I upgraded my 'ximianized' Redhat
7.1 machine to Redhat 7.2.

Basically, you have to identify all the ximian packages, uninstall them,
and then install the original 7.1 versions off the Redhat install CD's.
This worked for me, but I wished at the time there was an easier way.

NOTE: I make no guarantees that your system will still work after trying
this.  Make backups, take all the standard precautions, etc.

1) Get a list of ximian packages.  I did this with the command:

rpm -qa | grep -i ximian | sort > ximian-packages.txt

This put a sorted list in a text file which I printed out and used for
step #3.

2) Switch to runlevel 3 and remove the ximian packages (stole this from
Redhat's support site):

telinit 3
rpm -e `rpm -qa | grep -i ximian` --nodeps

*Note the direction of the single quotes.

3) Now w/ the list you printed out in step #1, mount the Redhat install
CD, change to the Redhat/RPMS directory and start installing individual
packages.  I used:

rpm -Uvh <package-name>

Of course, you'll get notices about failed dependancies, so you may need
to install the packages in a certain order.  Trial by error seemed to be
the only way to do this.  You may also find that you'll need the 2nd
install CD for some of the packages (mostly the developement ones) so make
sure you have that available as well.

Some of the packages installed by Ximian don't exist in standard RH7.1, so
if you have some packages that you can't find, don't worry.  Most of them
should be there.

After you're all done, you may want to delete all the .gnome* files in
your home directory since you will be using a different version.  I just
typed as myself:

rm -rf ~/.gnome*

Repeat for any other users on the system (ie root, etc).

Good luck.  If anyone else has an easier way, I'd love to hear it.

                               Chris Egolf
             http://www.ugholf.net     cegolf at ugholf.net