[ale] XP and Samba

Geoffrey esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Mon Dec 10 22:04:42 EST 2001

Vaidhy Mayilrangam wrote:

> yes.. but MS windows and Samba do not use tcp/ip.. they use netbios/netbeui
> to share resources ..

It's not necessary.  I've got three standalone win95 machines, one
vmware/nt and one vmware/win2k all sharing various shares with each
other and my linux boxes.  I've not installed netbios/netbeui on any of
them.  All you need is tcp/ip.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

"...the system (Microsoft passport) carries significant risks to users
that
are not made adequately clear in the technical documentation available."
- David P. Kormann and Aviel D. Rubin, AT&T Labs - Research
- http://www.avirubin.com/passport.html