[ale] Mailserver Setup?

Jimmie Fulton JFulton at ehso.emory.edu
Mon Dec 10 16:24:34 EST 2001

I don't have a reference for you other than checking the docs of your
preferred mail server (sendmail,exim,postfix,qmail...).  If you have a
freshly installed Linux system, it is practically set up already to run your
mail for you.  If you have a DNS record pointing to your host, you can
already send mail to that system at
yourusername at yourhostname.yourdomainname.com.  If you want to have mail
going to yourusername at yourdomainname.com, you need to have an MX record in
DNS for yourdomain.com.  An MX record basically says that your particular
host will be accepting all mail for your entire domain
(yourhostname.yourdomainname.com accepts all mail for yourdomain.com).
Aside from getting the DNS set up correctly, you may need to tell the mail
server which domain you are accepting mail for (in a config file).  The mail
server usually accepts mail for auser at yourhostname.yourdomain.com by
default, but you need to let it know to accept mail to auser at yourdomain.com
(without the host prepended); otherwise, it will probably kick the message
it back.

This is the minimum you need for getting mail delivered to your box.  If you
want to read your mail from another machine, you will probably want to read
up on an IMAP or POP3 server.

Hope this helps...

http://www.cs.gasou.edu <-=

sent to listmaster at ale dot org.