[ale] Distros with ALSA?

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at mediaone.net
Fri Dec 7 10:01:35 EST 2001

> You would switch distros just to get the right sound drivers?  Come on, this IS Linux after all.  Download the ALSA drivers/utilities and install them.  It's easy :-)
>
> Lost in Tokyo,
>    Keith

I know this is Linux and all that that implies, but I also only just
recently put RH 7.2 on this machine and I'm not all that attached to
it.

Also, on THIS particular machine - my primary desktop machine that I use
for job-hunting, e-mail, /., etc., I get no joy from having to dig deep
to get things to work; I'll save that energy for elsewhere.

Also, I found no info about disabling OSS and enabling ALSA that was
recent enough for my comfort.  This is one case where I will gladly
accept work done before-the-fact by others.

You know, we just had a guy here who set up a parallel-port scanner
under SANE and fwoop, his sound went away.  That's the kind of hassle I
don't really need right now.  I'm dealing with no sound and crippled
mouse as it is; if a different distro has better HW
detection/integration at install time, then that's probably what I
need.  It's not a question of "[switching] distros just to get the right
sound drivers" - it's a question of taking advantage of a
better-integrated product.

- Jeff