[ale] Distros with ALSA?

Steven A. DuChene linux-clusters at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 6 16:35:43 EST 2001

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 03:47:53PM -0500, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> I have an Asus K7V Slot-A-Athlon board with VIA VT82C686A-based sound.
> Google searches seemed to indicate that OSS drivers would not work but
> ALSA drivers would.  Does anyone know which current distros are set up
> to use ALSA drivers?  It appears as though RH7.2 uses OSS.

I have VIA VT82C686A sound working with the OSS drivers built into the kernel
just fine. You just need a new enough kernel I believe. I've been running
the -ac series for Alan Cox for a while but as of last night I'm running
2.4.17-pre4

My dmesg output after doing a modprobe to load the drivers looks like:

Via 686a audio driver 1.9.1
PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 00:07.5
ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: 0x414c:0x4325 (Unknown)
via82cxxx: Codec rate locked at 48Khz
via82cxxx: board #1 at 0xDC00, IRQ 5

Steven A. DuChene      linux-clusters at mindspring.com
                      sduchene at mindspring.com