[ale] menus?

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Thu Dec 6 13:12:07 EST 2001

Bao C. Ha writes:

 > > I run and have run ReiserFS on my desktop machine that I use
 > > on quite a
 > > daily basis and have never had any problems with it. The choice of
 > > journaling file systems to run is largely a religious debate,
 > > but Reiser
 > > is a good one and my preferred one for now. It is stable and in
 > > benchmarks has been seen to surpass ext2 in performance even with the
 > > overhead of journaling. ext3 has been recommended because of its easy
 > > conversion from ext2 but if you already have Reiser that is a moot
 > > point. ext3 can also journal the data instead of just the
 > > metadata like
 > > Reiser if you turn that on, but it takes a _major_
 > > performance hit to do
 > > that.
 >
 > Ext3 has about the same performance on my machine, as
 > ext2.  How big is the performance advantage of RiserFS
 > compared to ext2/ext3?

I can be big if you deal with lots and lots of small files in one
directory.  I think for big files is is supposed to be slightly
slower.

ext3 is actually faster than ext2 in some cases bacause of different
caching/writing behavior.

I find that reiserfs replays its journal slightly faster than ext3,
but the point for me is that neither takes very long.

--Michael