[ale] samba mounts under Mandrake 8.1

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Wed Dec 5 14:47:30 EST 2001

I'm trying to switch to a newer machine, and I'm switching from RedHat
to Mandrake while I'm at it.  I'm having trouble with mounting smb
shares.

On my RedHat 6.2 machine I can mount Windows share by putting a line
in my /etc/fstab like this:

   //empire/ZMEDev		/mnt/Empire/ZMEDev		smbfs	auto,user,username=username,passwd=password,uid=hirsch,gid=hirsch 0 0

This doesn't work under Mandrake 8.1.  The mount command returns:

    17202: session setup failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
    SMB connection failed

Other pertinant info: is using a 2.2.13 kernel, and Mandrake a 2.4.8
kernel.  Samba under Redhat is 2.0.7, under Mandrake it is 2.2.1.

The redhat mount is 2.10r and the Mandrake mount is 2.11h.

The machines are in the same room with the same networking setup.  In
fact, the Mandrake machine has the same IP address as the RedHat one
used to have, though the MAC address is different.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

Michael