[ale] make modules

Steven A. DuChene linux-clusters at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 5 12:25:25 EST 2001

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 08:03:31AM -0700, Chris Ricker wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Steven A. DuChene wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 02:02:19AM -0500, Cor van Dijk wrote:
> > > I am trying to compile a 2.4.2-2 kernel inside redhat7.1. Building (make
> > > bzImage) runs without a
> > > problem. But when I do "make modules" I get hundreds of lines with error
> > > messages.
> > > I have built many kernels over the years and occasionally have edited a
> > > source file when the built
> > > went wrong, but this is new!
> > > Anyone seen this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cor van Dijk.
>
> Red Hat ships the kernel-source RPM partially pre-compiled so that users
> just wanting to add third-party modules can do so.  This means that if
> you're wanting to recompile the entire kernel, you have to do a
>
> make mrproper
> make menuconfig
> make bzImage
> make modules
>
> (ie, you need to add a make mrproper step in to clean up the source tree)
>
> > I would advise starting with a known good kernel source from ftp.kernel.org
> > rather than the "slightly" unusual ones that get packaged with RedHat distros.
> > I have never had any problem building lots of different Linux or Alan kernel
> > sources on 7.1 systems. On the other hand I have never tried rebuilding from
> > RedHat altered sources.
>
> I wouldn't do that.  Red Hat's 2.4 kernel source actually works under load,
> unlike the stuff on ftp.kernel.org.

Dude, I beg to differ. The following note dated yesterday is a direct quote from
Alan Cox (who since he works for RedHat as one of their primary kernel developers
should know):

Re: hints at modifying kswapd params in 2.4.16

> > The first system I tried was Red Hat 7.1, it never used more then 2G
> > of cache memory leaving the other 2G free.
> >
> > The other system, Mandrake 8.0, sucks up all the 4G of memory with
> > cache but has not yet shown any signs of thrashing. Though the code
> > has only been running a few hours.
>
> The RH 7.1 tree is 2.4.2-ac based and certainly wont behave well under some
> loads.

This note can be seen at:

http://www.lib.uaa.alaska.edu/linux-kernel/archive/2001-Week-49/0498.html

Steven A. DuChene      linux-clusters at mindspring.com