[ale] two connections to internet??

Leonard Thornton leonard at intelis-inc.net
Thu Aug 30 13:56:52 EDT 2001

Pack rat?  Yep....that's me....I got equipment so old it's mentioned 3
times in the Old Testiment.

 From the initial description Gary provided, I don;t think load
balancing / failover is much of a consideration.  You are correct,
however, in your observation that routing is not easy.  Considering that
all PC's on the internal lan will point to the firewall as their
gateway, the firewall much handle the appropriate routing to seperate
the traffic destined for the DSL or cable side.

One trick, though I cannot testify to it's workability, would be to
assign multiple IP addresses (2) to the adapter attached to the local
network.  Then, use routed to set each of these addresses to point to
either the cable or the DSL for their default gateway.  The machine on
the internal LAN could then be assigned either IP address as their
default gateway depending on the route you wish for them to take.....

OR....I could be suffering delusions from the medication I am taking for
this flu......you tell me...

Bao C. Ha wrote:

> It really depends.  If you are pack-rat like me, I pick up
> the $5 NIC or free ones from CompUSA/Circuit City for rainy
> days.  However, I think you can find a 4-port D-link NIC for
> $75 or less on the net.
>
> I would like to learn how you are going to solve the routing
> problems though.  Then, load balancing/fail-over...
>
> Bao

The difficult while you wait...the impossible overnight.

Leonard Thornton
Intelis, Inc
leonard at intelis-inc.net