[ale] MS trying to blind side Linux via tcp/ip?

SanMillan, Todd tis3 at cdc.gov
Thu Aug 16 10:08:03 EDT 2001

   Okay, I disagree with your spin on Gibson's assessment of the danger of
code red, that future growth will eventually prove Gibson correct.  So lets
look at something with a little more history behind it.  In 1992 Gibson
declared that anti-virus scanners were facing end-of-life.  To quote,
"First, scanning for known viruses within executable program code is
fundamentally a dead end."  While I agree that more sophisticated scanning
methods deserve research and certainly have value, the simple fact is that
scanning for known code signatures remains the standard for commercial
anti-virus scanners.   More info is available here
http://vmyths.com/rant.cfm?id=348&page=4
   Second, Gibson's own words don't match your interpretation.  From his web
site http://grc.com/codered/codered.htm  "all hell is going to break loose"
starting Wednesday  August 1st".  While we did see increased infections, the
hounds of hell were kept chained for another week or two, at least.  We will
continue to see Code Red infections, but we will not have to turn off our
computers from the 1st till the 28th of every month.
   As for his not writing just to get media attention, what about the
following quotes, which he  "wrote and forwarded the following advisory to a
number of my friends in the press"? "Oh well, everyone knows I tried hard to
prevent it." and "I think it will CLEARLY BE next week's big news."
(Emphasis in the original).  MANY other's in the security community also
write with "openness and truth" yet they do not garner media attention like
we saw with Code Red (and Y2K).  And the public doesn't see the more sober
follow on discussions.  Most of them see that the "computer geeks" predicted
the Fall Of The Internet(TM) and it didn't happen.  Again.  And that is not
gonna help the next time we need to get the word out.

Todd