[ale] SQL server recomendations

jhubbs at telocity.com jhubbs at telocity.com
Tue Aug 14 17:19:44 EDT 2001

According to a recent article I read, recent versions of PostGreSQL exhibit dramatic improvements in speed over previous versions.

Not only is Oracle expensive but its pricing model, IMHO, is very anti-consumer.  Your base license price is determined by the product of some number they set times the number of CPUs in the system you're going to run in on times the clock speed of the CPUs.  IIRC, they make some kind of adjustment for RISC CPUs.  Then they knock some kind of arbitrary "discount" off so as to make the equation not quite linear, but we're talking about tens of thousands per license here, so the "discount" can be best described as, well, "lube."

They were also quite testy with me over the phone when I tried to get license prices in order to work up a cost estimate for a client; if I wasn't the one paying the money, they didn't walk to talk cost with me.

I dare say that PostGreSQL can probably do what you need; someone who REALLY KNOWS it should take a look at your requirement.  In order to get failover, recoverability, etc., you may have to pull some stunts, but at least you're in the driver's seat and not one or more vendors.

Also, don't assume that the "big guys" are a silver bullet; I ran into a bug that prevented MS SQL Server - arguably one of the best products MS has ever made - from making database backups automatically in version 6.5.  I don't know if it ever got corrected in 7.0/2000.

- Jeff