[ale] SQL server recomendations

Tommie M. Jones tj at atlantageek.com
Tue Aug 14 15:58:17 EDT 2001

I have experience with three possible solutions
Oracle, MySQL and Postgres.

Oracle is great and if you want speed and have lots of different users
then Oracle is what you want.  The question of whether you are willing to
pay for it is a seperate but important issue.

MySQL is very fast as well.  In fact I would be surprised if Oracle
can out perform it.  It's weakness lies in the lack of record
level locking when writing and the lack of transactions.

Transactions have been added in the latest version but I am unfamiliar
with this new feature.

Postgres is much slower than mysql but it does support transactions and
seems to be a solid workhorse.  I have only experimented with this one and
did some performance tests

http://www.atlantageek.com
Get inside Atlanta's Tech scene