[ale] network question

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Mon Aug 13 23:06:42 EDT 2001

I appreciate all the shared info.  I should have provided more
specifics, me thinks.  Here's the deal.  I've got a 8 port 10baset hub
that has space, but it's my dmz net.  I have a 5 port 100baset hub that
is full and is my internal network.  I want to put another box on my
internal network, or worse another subnet that's not my dmz.  My
expected solution was to either swap my two hubs, which I don't want to
do because of the speed differences, or buy another 5 port hub and hang
it off of my existing 5 port hub.

Thus the question, could I put this machine on my 8 port dmz hub, give
it different subnet ip and then get access to it, primarily from my
internal network.  The gateway would be my dual homed box that sits
between my dmz hub and my internet net hub.

I first tried giving it an ip from my internal subnet and setting up
routes for the dmz router.  That didn't work, so I gave it a completely
new subnet ip and tried the same

internal net: 172.16.255.0
dmz net: 172.16.10.0
new box connected to dmz hub: 172.16.200.200

I then added a routes:

route add 172.16.10.220 eth0  #route to the gateway machine
route add -net 172.16.255.0/24 gw 172.16.10.220     #route to the
internal net

Now I think it might be my chains on the gateway that's giving me
problems.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit
to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence." - Albert Einstein