[ale] Logging with NAT

djinn at djinnspace.com djinn at djinnspace.com
Mon Aug 13 11:17:00 EDT 2001

Thanks to lots of help from everyone here, I've got a network setup I'm
happy with, doing NAT on a machine to block off my external network from
my web /database servers.

Everything works great, just as planned... couldn't be happier.
But...
my apache logs are doing exactly what I would have expected them to do,
had I sat down and thought about it.  Each request comes from the
internal interface of the NAT machine, instead of from its original
requestor.  Obviously, the response from the web server is masq'd so
that all replies appear to come from the NAT machine.

I'm not very clear about packet mangling...wondering if I can pass HTTP
requests un-mangled and get them to respond masq'd?   Could I just turn
on some sort of logging on my NAT machine?   Any advice?

TIA
jenn