[ale] Browsing MS Network

SAngell at nan.net SAngell at nan.net
Thu Aug 9 14:55:04 EDT 2001

The smbmount command syntax is as follows:

smbmount //servername/sharename -I <ip address of server> -U <username%password>

leave out the <> of course.

If you have the server listed in your host file or can be found by DNS then you
can omit the -I switch.

There is also smbclient which I have used but do not remember the syntax off the
top of my head.

Hope this helps.

\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
\_    Steve Angell,  MCSE, CCNA       _/
\_    MIS Operations Manager            _/
\_    TSYS Total Debt Management  _/
\_    Phone 770-409-5570                 _/
\_    Fax      770-416-1752                _/
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

|--------+------------------------>
|        |          "Arafat"      |
|        |          <abmtek at yahoo.|
|        |          com>          |
|        |                        |
|        |          08/09/01 02:27|
|        |          PM            |
|        |                        |
|--------+------------------------>
  >--------------------------------------------------------|
  |      To:     ale at ale.org                               |
  |      cc:     (bcc: Steve Angell/tdm)                   |
  |      Subject:     [ale] Browsing MS Network            |

I know this is probably a very basic qn, but I'm lost. How can I browse an
MS network? Basically, I have a win2k and a win98 box at work. I have a
debian laptop. I need to access files shared out on the win boxes from my
laptop.

Thanks.
-Arafat