[ale] the final chapter in the 486 laptop saga....SUCCESS

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Thu Aug 9 11:10:19 EDT 2001

That's right folks, my little 8 meg laptop is up and running.  I know I
left you on the edge of your seats with my last email regarding Slack
8's failure.  I've since downloaded Debian Potato and we have a
successful install.  Not without some wrestling though.  Apparently,
there was an nfs bug in the 2.2.19pre kernels, which appears to be the
default for this dist.  I couldn't mount my nfs mounted debian iso
images.  The solution was to do an http install from my nfs machine.  I
created a sym link from my nfs mounted iso image to my html directory.
Does that make sense?  Anyway, worked like a charm.  Just selected http
install, changed the default location to my machine and off we went.
So, I guess Debian is now my choice for limited machine installs.

Thanks to all who suggested the various options that are out there.  I'm
going to check some of the out with my next effort. (cluster of 386s???)

I will say this, dselect is a bear.  Man what a cluttered up screen.  I
guess it works, just a little getting used to.

Next week, the 386 sitting on the shelf behind me.  Stay tuned. :)

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit
to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence." - Albert Einstein