[ale] Weather Satellite Image on X Background

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 4 17:24:29 EDT 2001

Chris Woodruff wrote:

> When I was in college there was a exe that you could run that would show a
> US weather satellite image on the background of X and update it every 15
> minutes.  I was using SunOS or Solaris (can't remember since Michigan State
> switched to Solaris during my stay).  Does anyone know if there is a
> equivalent for Linux?  And if so is the source available?
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris Woodruff

You could do this in a shell script:

while [[ true ]] do {
  wget <URL of weather image>
  xsetroot <image fetched by wget> # Maybe "xv" would work better.
  sleep 900
} done

(Note: the Bash syntax is probably not right, I don't
write a lot of Bash scriptage.)

-- Joe
"You know how many remote castles there are along the gorges? You
 can't MOVE for remote castles!" -- Lu Tze re. Uberwald
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
2nd Lbl A + 1 = 2nd Pause 2nd Prt GTO 2 R/S