[ale] how to do 'gratituous ARP broadcast'

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 27 05:18:40 EDT 2001

"Jerry Z. Yu" wrote:

> anybody has done a 'gratituous ARP broadcast' from a Linux box?
>
> /sbin/arp doesnot seem to be it?
> I am replacing a production box with a new one with the different NIC
> (aka, different MAC addr). I want to let the gateway machine see the
> the new MAC right away instead of waiting for ARP cache timeout on the
> gateway machine.
>
> thanks.

You could also use "arp -d <hostname>" to flush the new machine's
address from the
arp cache on the gateway; it would then re-request the MAC address next
time it
had to talk to that machine.

-- Joe

--
"If I ever get reincarnated... let me make certain I don't come back
 as a paperclip." -- protagonist, H Murakami's "Hard-boiled Wonderland"